Beware the Door-Knocker
The Better Business Bureau warns consumers to be on the lookout for companies selling security door-to-door, rating it as the #2 scam in past years. Price’s Alarms is concerned the reputation of the security industry is being tarnished by these organizations and individuals.
Price’s Alarms warns: These unscrupulous individuals will outright lie to you and do almost anything to get you to question the security you are receiving, pushing you to sign a contract with them on the spot. These companies usually work an area for a short time and rush install the equipment quickly to trap you into long term contracts before you have a chance to reflect. Our suggestion to you is to close the door if you are approached by these individuals, and to tell them that you are simply not interested in listening to them.
Unscrupulous sales tactics used by these companies:
- They may claim to be from Price’s Alarms, saying we’ve changed our name, gone out of business, or sold to another company
- They may suggest they are there from Price’s Alarms to provide you a free security equipment upgrade
- They may claim your security system is faulty, inadequate, or old technology
- They may offer to handle the cancellation of your service even though you are under contract
- They may use high pressure sales tactics to get you to sign a contract on the spot with an installer right behind them
- They may try to get inside your house to look at your system or ask you outside to look at something
- They are often very young, clean cut, slick salespeople who may even pretend to be working their way through university
- They may entice you with video doorbells, cameras or smart home products which often don’t work when they leave claiming your internet is the problem
The BBB warns: “Don’t fall victim to high-pressure sales tactics. If you are uncomfortable with a salesperson, ask them to leave your home and call the police if they do not leave immediately. Before signing a contract, ask the salesperson for copies of a sample contract, warranty details and their contact information. Tell them you will research their offer and get back to them if you are interested.”
Often, these are US-based companies that don’t have proper certifications, and are very difficult to reach. It will be difficult to establish what the truth is when dealing with these door-knockers. They may not have identification or even a business card.
Price’s Alarms is a reputable company with local offices in your community and a tradition of providing honest, reliable security solutions to British Columbians for over 120 years. All of Price’s Alarms Security Representatives carry a BC government-issued Security Workers Licence, a Price’s Alarms identity badge, and BC driver’s licence.
When you deal with Price’s Alarms you know who you are dealing with and we are always here to serve you. If you have any questions or concerns as to whether someone is truly a representative for Price’s Alarms, please call us toll-free at 1 (866) 384.4104.